Thursday, October 21, 2010

the black and the blue


Not only kids, primitives, and southern women love bright colours-war does too.

---Taussig, What Color is the Sacred?

~~~

Extremely idle, extremely independent, both by nature and by art. He was ruled by 'freedom and laziness.'

---Sarah Bakewell on Montaigne.

~~~

Free spirited people [are perfectly satisfied] with a minor position or a fortune that just meets their needs; for they will set themselves up in a way to live that a great change in economic conditions, even a revolution in political structures, will not overturn their life with it.

---Nietzsche.

Music: well, could have been Pink Floyd's 'Us and Them' but I guess it has to be the great Louis.

2 comments:

Celia said...

The Niezsche quote is encouraging- especially in such straitened times as we live through.

Perhaps, also, you'll enjoy Hazlitt's praise of Montaigne, in the chapter headed Philosophise only by Accident:
'In taking up his pen he did not set up for a philosopher, wit, orator or moralist, but he became all these merely by daring to tell us whatever passed through his mind, in its naked simplicity and force.'
Don't you think M would have made a great Blogger?

Anonymous said...

Will ,look it up, C. I've only got a selection of Hazlitt's essays. Who was it who said the other day that his essays are too 'forced'-didactic, almost? will self? How was that collection of essays you read? zadie smith?

Will self wasn't too chuffed with the idea of Montaigne being a blogger but I've got to say that I think he'd be fantastic.

still, i'm not sure if blogging really gets a conversation going. I always struggle here. Well, perhaps the problem is more general since i struggle (a lot) talking over the phone when I know people who chat on it for hours!

Do you still write letters?

Hi! :-)

b.