Wednesday, December 01, 2010

the drowned, reflected world



They are a long inspection of a drowned, reflected world, in which no sky is visible except by reflection; the water fills the whole frame. ..In these paintings, emptiness matters as much as fullness, and reflections have the weight of things. ..to conjure up the negated object, with the help of allusive and always indirect words, which constantly efface themselves in a complementary silence, which involves an undertaking which comes close to the act of creation.

What showed on its surface, the clouds and lily pads and cat's-paws of wind, the dark patches of reflected foliage.the abysses of dark blue and the opaline shimmer of light from the sky, were all compressed together in a shallow space, a skin, like the space of painting . The willows touched it like brushes . No foreground, no background; instead, a web of connections


The same. The same.
then once, in a flash,
fresh ground,...
black, grey, green, and blue
water, stone, grass and sky
and each unique set stone!
---August 11th, 2008.


(K. Clark on Monet, and R. Lowell)


.[b]efore
the metal shaving mirrors
and see the shaky future grow familiar
We are all old-timers
each of us holds a locked razor...

---Lowell

Cage [ I ].
I, that I b.

~~~

Restless night. At 1 (and then again at 3) woken up by some incredibly loud music. A mix between bhangra and Prince, I thought to myself, half awake. Also, incredibly good, though infuriating. Knew I would never hear that tune again, or know what it was. Let it go.

Still in the twilight zone, wondered what Montaigne would have done. No, no use, letting it wash over as if I wasn't concerned, or thinking that it would eventually come to an end, didn't work.

H woke up at 4 and then R at 5. Early morning lecture so I had to wake up at 6 anyway. 45 minutes to find some kind of peace, some sort of space that would carry me through the day...then, out of the blue, I was suddenly at City airport, getting ready for one of those trips within a trip (like a dream within a dream). I'd forgotten my book, but wasn't overly concerned for some odd reason. And then, amongst the ruins, down a steep incline, there was this beautiful singing tree, deeply familiar, autumn leaves shimmering in the late afternoon light, the light in August caught, concentrated, reflected, drowned.

6 comments:

Celia said...

'I know now what it is to wake before dawn,
Find youth gone,
Time to gain..'
Eric Mottram

Anonymous said...

thanks, C.

time to gain? or time, again?

Keep well,

b.

Celia said...

Definitely 'time to gain'.
I knew Eric Mottram quite well. That line of his, a heart-breaking lament for passing youth, has haunted me for thirty years.
to me, it has Proustian echoes - '...la recherche du temps perdu'

And BTW, b, that reminds me: have you got round to reading Proust yet/ If not, why not??(:

Anonymous said...

C, I've just realized that we've got a book in the library, essays and correspondences (with duncan) by Mottram. Strange, I picked it up a month ago and remember saying to myself..in an ideal world I'd have time for this..but, time is something none of us really "has". Khair...

Not sure if that answers your question as well..it's a kind of answer (to my mind, at least! ..how self-centred is that? the very phrase, as well as the meaning!)

nabil was kind enough to find and download the gerda lerner book. what interested me in particular was the essay on getting old. Thoughts turned to something Russell had written (which I'll put up in the next post). Nabil is a great fan of Bertie.

and it reminded me of V.S.P.'s wonderful essay.

all reminded me of a sort of learning *through* books, a slow distillation, if you will. But 'through' can mean more than one thing and I think it's important to keep in mind both senses of the term.

Hmm..maybe it would be easier to just read Proust! :-)

orr?

is the big freeze still on? I can't wait! hope there's snow around so i can build a snowman for little R :-)

Cheerio, c.

b.

Anonymous said...

oh yes, forgot to say: anyone interested in getting a copy of the book just send me an e-mail and I'll forward it to you.

Take care,

b.

Celia said...

Big freeze still on - although there was a brief, half-hearted thaw today, which just means more ice tomorrow!

Yes, dear b, just get a grip and READ PROUST! There is no substitute. And he's very big on quotable quotes. Anyway, who could possibly NOT continue to read a book which begins with the line:'Pendant long temps je me couche de bonne heure.' That was it - I read on, for 12 volumes. My dad bought them for me one by one, birthdays and Christmas presents. It was the famous (and to me still best because most imaginative) translation by Scott Moncrieff, although there have been many attempts since. To my deep regret, my dad died when I was still short of Vol. 12. so I had to wait until the advent of the Internet to track down the exact edition I needed to complete the set.

Mottram was rather enigmatic. He had a devoted following among his students at Kings, based largely on his friendship with many of the Beat poets and his enthusiasm for the writings of Wilhelm Reich! Oh, yes, and he taught me how best to cook courgettes. (W> Reich:No. Don't go there...)