no, it wasn't the mind, or just the mind, but the rag-and-bone shop of the heart. you should have been reading Galor's Inequality and Land Ownership but instead you turned to what was on your desk and read randomly (or not so randomly)and from which you gathered the following...
Irfan asked you: how does one make time for reading? To which the answer was: you don't! The reason why I've failed so spectacularly as an academic-well, a bit of early-morning melodrama doesn't hurt anyone-is that, as I was saying to Antonio just the other day, I don't take it (or myself) very seriously.
Academics is a bit of a con, to be honest. A high-minded prank.
But if one reads out of pleasure and not to advance one's career, that's a recipe for disaster. Something will give. So, the essential problem is this mismatch that sees you working on your secondary, not primary, interests. Yes, obviously, but not just that.For even if that were not the case you're sure your mind would be distracted by other areas and that you'd still prefer to be a bit jumbled up, amateurish, and naive rather than a clear-headed specialist. There are many things in life.
~~~
I said to R, who was still half-asleep: what do babies dream of: dragons and clouds, I suspect!
What does anyone dream of, R answered, with a bright and serene look on her face.
No, I mean without the world how can there be dreams?
She said, some might argue that too much of 'the world' prevents them from coming to us.
Oh, R, you're impossible!
And yet here I am before you.
What I mean is this: you've had such little time in the world.
Is that why an hour with you seems endless?, she replied, giggling to herself.
Charming! You little monkey...
No, you misunderstand me, little Man, as usual! For what is true-whether it be in a dream or in reality, has little to do with time. A moment with the beloved is not something that can be counted.
You know, you're awfully clever for a little baby!
Well, reading isn't everything. And because I'm young, I'm open to the world.Now dear, go back to sleep and dream of your cinnamon rolls!
~~~
okay, next post for the quotes...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment