Friday, December 03, 2010

Take care !

Gradually, the two [kindness and clear thinking]have come more and more together in my feelings. I find that much unclear thought exists as an excuse for cruelty, and that much cruelty is prompted by superstitious beliefs.

(Russell, in one of his somber moods, from his autobiography, via Nabs, my Old English carrier pigeon!)

"If we take pigeons as an example..."(Aristotle). Normal pigeons are not into constant work. They lounge in sun, bathe in rain. They don't travel far for a meal. They maintain close contacts.
--Thalia Field.

What is amazing and utterly astonishing about life is that people take care. Perhaps not of themselves, as much as they should, but of others, for others.

I know the boffs want to explain this by evolution but why go down that road (or any road!). Ethics as the limit of reason? No, that's not it either.

~~~

in the early morning, dew and stars still marking their presence, on course, of course. you catch a glimpse of the tired, weak sun's reflection and think to yourself: the sun itself is a distant reflection. before the light was everywhere; now it finds solace in the frames of the library's dark high windows. place has become important once again. light finds its true Form. but direction without strength is a terrible fate.

what shape will the day take? no-one can tell-even if they could. the light in this season is spent, hangs around buildings, trying to rekindle ancient affinity with brick and stone. waiting, as if that was its essence. solitary, thoughtful, as if it knew these were difficult times, its winter mind cleansed and cleansing, aware of departures. no second thoughts.

~~~

take care: a way of saying farewell. before one signs one's name or jots down some abbreviation, an initial, perhaps. the simplicity of a letter-like 'K', even though crooked. and 'R,' which folds itself around itself, which is like a thought in water, is but a derivative or relative of 'K'?

6 comments:

Roxana said...

i don't see K as simple, it invites to luxurious dreams, since the three lines can be curved into voluptuous folds - yet not feminine, as little 'a'. and majestic, this is K, for sure. like a king.

Anonymous said...

Hmm...not sure I agree with you here. 'K' -or any letter-is simple because it's a black mark on a white page or canvas. On its own it is simple; next to other letters it is complex or less of a king, if you like (this is rapidly turning into the most pretentious ramble one could imagine...no, i could imagine more, i hear you say! But hell no, if I can't speak French at least I'm going to pose as a French (pseudo) intellectual for this brief moment :-) )

I don't find little 'a' feminine at all. In fact, it seems quite reluctant to unfold..is a secretive little bugger. 'A' is much more interesting (er..this really is like a therapy session...er..not that I've been to one, of course)

curved into what?!

Boy o boy, and i thought *i* needed help!

:-))

Rofl!

sorry, roxana, your comment has just made me realize how awful and funny my posts are!! :-) Thanks! A liberating moment.

Hope all is well,

b.

Roxana said...

always happy to be the gracious tool of revelation, in whatever form it may strike :-P

Anonymous said...

Oh yes, you are a very gracious tool indeed! :-)

orr?

has term ended?

I hope that in my last comment it sounded as if I didn't value your comments or presence here. Because that is most definitely not the case. As i wrote a few posts back, the most enjoyable part of blogging is actually getting comments and responding to them- and not so much the actual writing of the posts themselves. Gosh, that makes me sound like a real sad bastard! :-)

Okay, got to run. Believe it or not, but I actually have to go and do some work today. :-(

Take care,

b.

Anonymous said...

er..that should be " that my last comment came across as if i didn't ..."

Anonymous said...

no, that didn't work either! I really hate this comment section and having to respond to real human beings...far better to just write the post!

okay, let's try again shall we..."I hope it didn't sound as if I didn't value.."

is that right? can one have two "didn'ts" in the same sentence?

how do you disable comments from blogger?