
Mongol, Ali, if you're reading this...this is the girl for you. Man, with that funky coat as well.
Bach this is not. If this is traditional music then I'd like to ask again: how can there be freedom within bounds? [yes, more of my "crusade", Z.]
Strains of this reminded me of the fantastic makrani music.
4 comments:
A little slow....several posts later..but where did you find this? I have to say, it's her hat that makes the outfit.
The end of the video before it ftb---was the most interesting.
Freedom within bounds, hmmm, not so sure about that. There don't seem to be edges to music.
Oh, I think you're wrong there..there's technique and learning and attentiveness and all sorts of things.
barry schwartz just made the same point (on TED-not his brilliant 'paradox of choice' but the other one)... Even jazz improvisers still work within some framework (also: see Eco's comments in 'the open work'..excerpts posted somewhere here).
Also, I like what Daniel Barenboim has to say on this (his wonderful reith lectures are online)...that spontaneity comes *after* immersion in the rules, the practices.
But yes, of course, tradition without freedom is stifling, claustrophobic and soul-destroying.
Keep well,
b.
oh yes, forgot to say, heard it on that radio show I was talking about, late junction. A lot of the stuff on there is rubbish but most of the times there's one track or singer who is very good. so, in recent shows I've come across Lhasa, Nils Okland, and this..all of which I like a lot. But sometimes I wish they'd just play some Bowie! :-)
Post a Comment