“We are evolving from being cultivators of personal knowledge to being hunters and gatherers in the electronic data forest.”
--Nicholas Carr.
This very much ties in with a book recommended by anton: 'The Necessity of Experience' by E.S. Reed. Books, music, films...at the end of the day they're just parcels of information that are felt on the blank screen of the mind, unpacked, re-arranged or aggregated and re-configured to form a 'picture' of the thing-in-itself. To talk about the experience of reading a book ...well, one might as well talk about 'red' and other mystical, unknowable qualities. What else is experience but something registered by the mind...what else could it be?
Whether this fragmentation is furthered by the internet and other social processes, whether this dispersion of attention is a symptom of a late capitalism that likes to keep everything at the surface and is replicated in our workplaces, schools, and daily lives or whether it, in fact, represents a fantastic opportunity for learning and sharing remains something only time will be able to tell (don't know what you think).
So what if the old state narratives don't bind any more? What information people select and want to share, what stories they turn to and turn out, increasingly depends on their affinities, interests, and tastes (Tony Judt). And isn't the freedom of the net something that unsettles established hierarchies, something that allows us to challenge everything? The resulting lack of solidarity (or, rather, the different type of solidarity) is the price we pay for greater freedom. And besides, wasn't modernity from its very inception about fragmentation, the explosion of the new, the 'anti-classical,' the many-faceted, multi-dimensionality of an open-ended reality?
~~~
England lost. Thank God!! There's nothing worse that seeing the swaggering arrogance of a bunch of over-paid, over-rated spoilt brats. It's not just that they're crap...lots of teams are. It's the ridiculous belief that one can be good simply because one is England. And amongst all that fake bravado what timidity and meekness! I think they need psychological help. Someone commenting in the Guardian hit just the right spot:
The English team visited some orphans in Soweto. "It was tragic to see their sad little faces without any hope," said Umbeki, aged six.
Now, if only Brasil can be thumped all will be good in the world...
Monday, June 28, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
Hello b.,
Hope every thing is fine. What did Brazil ever do to deserve your censure!:)
Anyway, it can never be my team since my brother supports it. I am praying for Argentina :)...
Best wishes,
Sadia.
Sadia!!
:-)))
what a pleasant surprise!!
Well, I find them so boring (Socrates, the former captain, was spot on here). If it's just about winning a sixth trophy then i couldn't care and hope they lose. I think Dunga is, well, a dunga ! And there's something about the born-again religiosity of the kakas of this world that pisses me off ..er..you really didn't want to get me started on this, did you sadia?! :-))
robhinio: really isn't that good and Lucio Fabiano is very much like a European striker (which is not to say that he isn't a good player)
Khair...
what have you been doing? are you in Kchi? how's life been? This is so weird talking to you after all this time! do you actually know Raza Rumi btw? did I tell you he was a good friend from school?
Yes, I hope Argentina win as well.
take care, S.
b.
Hello again b. :)
Well, I do check up on your blog few times a week, sometimes I don't really read, just make sure that there is a new post, meaning that you are fine (or, at least well enough to write ... :)! )
I've been busy in rocket science as usual ...!! [(m)uttering the mantra that what I do is important] and yes, still in the city by the beach.
I don't know Raza Rumi, though I have read some of his articles and he was kind enough to comment on my now defunct blog.
Ummm ... yes, I did know that you two are friends, in fact, I accessed your blog via the comment you left on Raza's blog!
What prompted the query?
:) all the best,
Sadia.
ha! i think well enough NOT to write would be the thing to look for!
:-)
rocket science?
have you made any yet?
okay, okay, you don't HAVE to laugh.
:-)
Er..dunno what prompted the query.
Take care Sadia,
b.
because you write about football and ethics :-)
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2010/jun/29/cheating-football-germany-goalkeeper
hi b!
screw this! I just spent 20 minutes writing a reply roxana and the thing doesn't post it..and it's my own blog!
:-)
no, that should be
:-(
K.
okay, let me try and remember, retrace my steps, like a rat down a maze...
Thanks for that, roxana. [Yes, that's how it started].
Well, I think there's a history (in 1966 the same thing happened-but to the Germans) and ..er..there's another history..this was, after all, Germany vs England.
But i don't think Singer goes far enough. I mean, can we talk about/understand ethics in a vacuum-as if the will is suddenly jerked into action against the fabric of being (gosh, that does sound pretentious, doesn't it?..[not in the original comment])
where was I ..yes, independently of the context, the world a person lives in?
football has become an industry where winning has become everything (not style or passion). I must read Exley's 'A Fan's notes ' this summer) . Given those circumstance should we expect anything else? In any case, it's the circumstances and not *just* the individual decision that is interesting, to me at least.
You know roxana, this is why blogging is so crap and lifeless. this really should have been a conversation over coffee but is, instead, a rather boring monologue (well, not too different for your posts, I hear you say).
can't remember the rest. and so now the mouse, lost, returns to his tea...
Take care,
Khalid.
thank God for that!
:-)
Hi b.,
Just dropped in to say Brazil lost!!
Take care,
Sadia.
Post a Comment