Wednesday, June 23, 2010

I-level

I will not be one person again.
---Karen B.

What do you remember? Think of a film, or some music, or a loved one. There is, on the one hand, the direct, fresh experience that is, perhaps, unaware of it even being an 'experience'; a feeling that is so caught up in the wonder of it/her/him that it is blind to itself. Face to Face, seeing I to I. And there is, on the other hand, the memory of happiness, a report, a re-collection that depends on one's ability (desire?) to retrieve and the artistic ability to integrate the fragments.

What do you remember of any person you've come across, or a book? A few, quintessential aspects (as with a caricature)? Certainly not the whole story, the insignificant details (but what is significant? Watson often looks at the same world, the same facts, but in a different way...only later gets the drift, grasps the point, sees what was obvious).

For films Kahneman says it is the final scene. A good or bad ending can change the whole recollection of the experience. Peak-effect. Or it is a weighted average of the last scene and the most intense moments in the experience, as if the mind/soul needed to filter out the rest, reduce it to background material, and pick out the unique, the dazzling, radiant moment.

Is memory enough? Of her. As if by repeating the memory, as I recall, could somehow magically conjure up the real thing. The delusion that it is the real thing, when our selves are constantly falling away...

Solaris.

How can there be a remembering of what you've never known? In films, in films, you often hear a man saying to a woman he's met for the frst time: "I feel that I've always known you" or "haven't we met before?". At other times, you want to remember to forget...

I want to know how to feel

The human capacity (you want to say 'human', not biological, or the mind's) to adapt

No comments: