Friday, October 10, 2008

By another name



Unmöglich ist immer die Rose,
unbegreiflich die Nachtigall
---Goethe.

For Heaven's sake, do not talk about the rose!
Talk of the nightingale who is separated from his rose
---Rumi.

I am amazed, o rose, to see your kindness,
that you can sit together with the thorn...
---Hafiz

Joy and pain are the same shape:
you can call the rose an open heart, or a broken heart.
---Mir Dard

The nightingale read from the rose petals a word which a hundred commentators can explain only with difficulty
---Jami.

It looked to me from afar like a bouquet of roses
When I saw it from near, it was fire
---Khaqani.

And the night flowed back into the rose until the night was the night no longer. And who could say if it was the sadness in the rose or if it was the fire in the night that led one to the other. But this much is true: the rose is but an image of Beauty, and is destined to fade and die. A painted bird for a painted rose.

The nightingale still has grace as long as it remembers springtime and dreams of the fragrant rose. Even in a black sun there is the faint memory of the rose, like a single red thread. But what of crow?

If the crow were to see its own ugliness,
it would melt like snow.
---Rumi.

10 comments:

Roxana said...

b, so you liked this picture :-) you know, I had written something about the 'impossible rose' yesterday night, but then decided to post only the two short sentences. and now you give me Goethe's impossible rose!
thank you for this post.

billoo said...

Yes, it's by an up and coming young photographer with bags of talent.

"I had written..."

you LIAR ! :-)

I'm so glad you translated those lines by Goethe..i wondered what they meant!

Hope you are well Roxana. Please, no more posts about death and knives! :-)

Take care.

As always,

b.

Roxana said...

well, I cannot post about these things as you do, thought you might like to read this, it's one of your favourite topics, ins't it :-)
http://www.signandsight.com/features/1714.html

take care,
a.

billoo said...

thanks, but I thought it was awful.

keep well,

b.

Roxana said...

ahahahahah
I knew it! but such a violent reaction surpasses my expectations :-P

billoo said...

As they say here: always expect the unexpected! :-)

Celia said...

'A rose is a rose is a rose'

Gertrude Stein

billoo said...

C, hi!

Can't say i totally agree. Each rose is also unique.

I met a person yesterday, a sort of pakistani version of James coburn. It seems his main interest in life is hunting-which he does every day. He talked about his dogs for ages and then said about labs: apart from a human voice they're just like humans and then: each dog has his own 'misaj' (temperament/character).

A dog is not a dog is not a dog

Celia said...

He was dead right about labradors. Here, we have yellow Sam, the handsome,thoughtful, polite one, who regards visitors with caution; Alice calls him 'The Beauty'. Black Bren is extrovert, slightly zany, greets all comers like his new best friend, covering them with licks and hugs. Alice calls him 'The Hooligan'. He does have a kinder, more gentle side, though: never comes in from the garden without some small offering, be it a twig, a leaf or a pebble.

Gertrude Stein: ever tried her? Mostly incomprehensible, but she became famous for it. On her return to America she was met by a posse of pressmen and photographers. She was asked: 'Miss Stein, how come you don't write the way you talk?' To which she replied: 'How come you don't read the way I write?' Touche!

Her last words are recorded as follows: (Sighing)'What is the answer?' No reply came. 'Well, then' she said,'What is the question?'

I'd like to think that I shall be able to crack jokes on my death-bed!

billoo said...

Celia, nope, haven't read her. any good? she sounds liek oscar wilde! :-)

her joke reminded me of Doglas Adams's Hitchhiker's guide to teh Galaxy...the answer to life is 42..now what's the question?!

the hooligan! i like that! :-)

orr?

I can't believe it..rothko's 'on' and I'm stuck here.

Ciao,

b.