Monday, October 20, 2008

Of Elephants and Hats


~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
What I've learnt from blogging:
1.1 I used to think there were only two types of people in the world: people who wear hats and those who don't. But now I've come to realise that there is also a (small) number of people who do not wear hats and yet are still -miraculously-good people.
~
1.2 Bowler hats (or the Bolivian ones) only look good on women.
~
1.3.In any case, it's people who like beetroot and those who don't.
~
2. Not all Americans are confrontational and defensive.
~
2.1. Actually, it was just Bob.
~
2.2 To utter the word 'socialism' in the States is like saying the word 'vegetarian' here.
~
3. Not all mullahs are damned to hell.
~
4. Blogging is a cheap form of therapy.
~
5. Blogging leads to the need for therapy.
~
6. The autumn of your soul does not remember; the autumn of your soul is that remembrance.
~
A discussion with a French colleague here:
'You know, back in France we sometimes have Cheddar as a novelty item because it's not really considered a proper cheese. '
Er...that put me in the incredibly awkward position of actually having to defend England and I felt like saying 'steady on, old chap' but she's so charming that I let it pass.
7. Beauty trumps Truth.

6 comments:

Sadia Ajaz said...

Hello b,


Are you sure it's beetroot? I thought it was ginger.

Hope all is well,
Astarte.

billoo said...

ginger???

Oh no! don't tell me you're one of *those* people! :-)

Sadia, is this the end of our friendship?

ginger is only acceptable as: gingerbread.

Sadia Ajaz said...

:) Was just thinking of the Urdu proverb, which loosely translates as: What do monkeys know about the taste of ginger! So you see the difference between humans and monkeys is the appreciation of the taste of ginger :)

End of friendship??? Gingerbread! Don't be so western :) How about ginger with nihari or haleem. Mouthwatering, don't you thinks so?

Best regards,
Astarte.

Folded letters said...

b-

You're introducing me to new things...beetroot? I looked it up. An aphrodisiac since Roman times??

or "taking favors in the beetroot field"

What does it taste like?

Now I've got to try some...
-fl

billoo said...

Er..fl, you are a strange fish! where are you from?
Are you telling me they don't have it in the states.

What does it taste like? Purple, I guess. Hmm. hard to say. what does anything taste like! ? :-)

billoo said...

thanks, astarte. I always did wonder what the difference between them was! :-)

of course! How could I forget?! Haleem. But no, are you talking about the 'tarka'? then green chillies and onions. Not ginger.

nihari. not a huge fan.

But okay, in an attempt to salvage our friendship I'll give you fried ginger in sesame oil with deep fried prawns (from kchi, of course)in tempura . There. Happy? :-)