Today the light is near perfect (and near perfect is perfection itself, perhaps). A dazzling, resoundingly clear day: every object is well defined-not mathematically, but as if the essence was there for all to see, without its shadows. All these things are not without sadness, but not without beauty either. Perhaps it is always like this, a gift, and it is only the light within that fails.
You cannot stop time. It is not yours to own, bind, or possess. But you cannot stop wanting to stop it-that is, after all, the definition of civilisation, and that longing for stillness speaks to us of what is human, all too human.
Today, more than any other day, I am simply thankful for the words, images, and loved ones around me, for the time that has been given to me. Autumn is over, the winter light is now upon us. Chains of frail light gently falling, in the morning silver paths traced out by my footsteps through the lawns, heavy with dew; the harshness of our faces softens, as the light glances off window panes, alights on a piece of metal and shines brilliantly. Time conserves, and then moves on. There is always this tremendous opening up of other times and other places. Keep this with you. It will be useful. The world is a broken circle. Second spaces, re-vision. Capstones shift. Remember that.
Every beautiful form you have seen, every meaningful word you have heard-be not sorrowful all this must be lost; such is not really the case. The Divine Source is immortal and its outflowing gives water without cease; since neither the one nor the other can be stopped wherefore do you lament?...from the first moment when you entered this world of existence, a ladder has been set up before you...
--Rumi.
The good and just life is thus a process of clarification, a movement towards selfless lucidity, guided by ideas of perfection which are objects of love...The sun may be far away but its reflection in beauty is near..a sense of renewal in a particular place, a sudden vision in art and nature, joy experienced as pure, witnessing a virtuous action, a patient suffering, an absence of resentment, humble service, persistent heroism, innumerable things...Every individual has a collection of such things which might be indicated by various names and images: refuges, lights, visions, deep sources, protections, footholds, icons, starting points, sacraments, ..ritual forms, holy images. Thus may we learn that other worlds and other centres exist.
--Iris Murdoch.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
12 comments:
b-
This is beautiful. Your blog title makes me think of an eclipse. But, today it sounds like the sun was out of hiding.
And thank you about the sleeping bit. I was waiting to fall asleep later, but couldn't. And now I'm awake again. :) oh well. Goodnight to you.
-fl
hi b i like this first paragraph about the light.... my initial thought was that "near perfection" is the actual perfection because it is so elusively non absolute....
hi, fl, hi anton!
fl, yes, true, sometimes black is a lack of light, but sometimes it is an excess. great neruda poem btw. have you seen il postino?
Anton, I like your idea of non-absolute. Absolute, for me, seems like something completed. Here there is still space for movement, change.
Keep well,
b.
hi, fl, hi anton!
fl, yes, true, sometimes black is a lack of light, but sometimes it is an excess. great neruda poem btw. have you seen il postino?
Anton, I like your idea of non-absolute. Absolute, for me, seems like something completed. Here there is still space for movement, change.
Keep well,
b.
b-
Blinded by the light? True.
Il Postino looks good, I've seen clips of it on youtube, but I'd want someone to watch it with. Because of all the Neruda in it, I think I'd be a little depressed watching it alone.
-fl
maybe you're right. maybe not. anyway, I'm re-posting something for you (it's very long but do try and watch the first 5 or six minutes if you can)
take care,
b.
i don't believe it! it's not up there any more. I think if you go to my post "yes! sunrise" you may still be able to listen to it. Damn the web! :-)
Good morning b :)
I just tried to find your post "yes, sunrise", but after two hours of searching (actually being unable to stop myself from reading your post), I admit defeat. Determinated, yes. But, I'm hungry for breakfast. Would you mind giving me the link? Ive spent too much time searching
to give up now.
-fl
so sorry fl! only saw this now.
It's Kishori
Hope you had a good brekfast. I just did" poached eggs, suasages, and hash browns. Jeez, and I'm supposed to finish some of that marking today!
oh yes,
'morning!
b.
b-
Morning to you :) I actually found your 'yes, sunrise' post on google blog search. Told you I was detemined. But, unfortunately I can't play it on my phone. Is this from youtube? Because, I can watch those. I'll look.
Your generosity is appreciated, especially this morning. It's looking bleak outside, and this is like a ray of sunlight.
-fl
oh b, also what marking? And what does that have to do with sausages?
Are you going to write a post about breakfast meats?? That makes me hungry, beats my eggos.
Hope you have better weather where ever you are.
-fl
fl, hi!
heavy brekfast+mild winter sun=laziness= no grading (marking)
(i think Aristotle said that).
er..I think i've already written one on breakfast!
yes, i think it's from youtube but has now been taken down. why or how it continues to survive on my blog I have no idea!
best wishes,
b.
Post a Comment