Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Enjoy !

You can, therefore you must!


Today’s politics is more and more the politics of jouissance, concerned with the ways of soliciting or controlling and regulating jouissance. Is the entire of opposition between the liberal/tolerant West and the fundamentalist Islam not condensed in the opposition between, on the one side, the woman’s right to free sexuality, inclusive of the freedom to display/expose oneself and provoke/disturb man, and, on the other side, the desperate male attempts to eradicate or, at least, keep under control this threat.

--Zizek

Two things I find very boring: rants about immorality/decadence (read: the lewdness of women); and rants about fundamentalism/backwardness. Politically: you love life or you love death! Or Bush: they're jealous of our freedoms.

So, let me (with your permission) engage in a bit of ranting of my own. Tourism. These adverts on the televison are surely designed for morons who want to "experience" something "real", so that they can 'escape' the humdrum of their own lives. The more exotic, the better: Indian elephants or Bali dancers...wow! nothing like a bit of culture and traditional dancing..perhaps we can even throw in a whirling dervish to satisfy your spiritual leanings). Authentic. the real deal. Been there, done that. Check.

There is now a television show called 'Shopping for religion'..I kid thee not! And everyone's a sufi now! One of the funniest things I saw at the Tate was a short film on Mumbai. People turned up in their droves-mainly the usual seekers of 'the mystical'. But they left in horror after five minutes. No colour, no Bollywood glamour, or 'shining India'..damn, not even any elephants. Just the grim reality of slumland, just five million people who have to shit on the streets because there aren't proper facilities.

And then there are the unreal cities in the Middle East with their 'education cities' and huge shopping malls and their own brand of the virtual city-devoid of any politics, real people, or sense of place. A snazzy version of Singapore, really, where you can play golf and talk about derivatives., or ski indoors and then grab a Starbucks coffee. The Friends generation. Or worse: the swarm of yobs-aka. British tourists- that descend on the Greek islands to lose themselves in excess.

One last thing: no offence to any Scousers: but Liverpool as a city of culture? This is how cities now have to market themselves (I've even heard that the late B.B. hired Saatchi & Saatchi to improve the brand image of Pakistan!).

The next time I hear some air-head talk about having "fun" or "sample the local culture" I think I'm going to reach for my gun, in my backward sort of fundamentalist way...

2 comments:

Kubla Khan said...

isn't Zizek becoming a bore?

And I bet, though I might lose it, that Zizek and other writers who write on this Islam-West conflict have not read either the Quran or know the essentialities of Islam. Reading Islam through Kantian philosophy is becoming a drag. and then add Lacan, quote Badiou, go back to Hegel......job done!

Anything can be criticized, everything sh'd be. but only after factual knowledge. now I have read Hegel's philosophy of history, for eg and found it ignorant, ignorant of facts, lacking comprehension.
how dare i? how can i say this?
obviously all this can't be generalized but the point is......the createdness of conflicts. this west-islam issue is not just ideological but political too. those who resist fall back on an ideology, right or wrong and are identified with that. if their dominant sustenance is religious, so be it. as long as they don't commit atrocities, fine.

anyway, Zizek is over reaching himself lately i think, and is becoming one of those strictly come dancers on the BBC, those who think that on stage, they can dance anything. but the audience resists them, gets bored and votes them off. Zizek is in danger of doing just that, to himself. and in the end, he will vote himself off. what a pity!

billoo said...

totally agree with you there, Kubla. you know, I thought exactly the same thing: they talk about Islam as if they had some deep engagement with it. On the other hand, to the extent that they are talking about 'political Islam' or fundamentalism I think that's fine.

I don't know what your thoughts are but there is, in my view, some truth to the quote in the sense that there is at least one strand that stresses outward sobriety and I thinik it is fair to say , on the other hand (as Daniel Bell does) that capitalism is now about consumption , the spectacle, display.

This idea of the restrained gaze is not something that is exclusively religious (Jewish or Islamic aniconism) but it is , I think, also a part of lots of different cultural norms (or was). Ivan Iliich has a good article on this.

and yes, I think you're right here as well: everyone wants to be on t.v., to be an entertainer. I think this is one of the downsides of blogging as well: instead of mulling over our thoughts and letting them live we quickly jot them down. i think that kills them.

Orr?

hope all is well.

Take care,

b.