

For Roxana:
I think the best photographs I've seen are by Thesiger. The question remains: do nomads have photographs, images? Is this not, precisely, Guenon's point: those who live in time, the city dwellers, are forever trying to 'stabilize' themselves by the monumental or the fixing of time. Cain and Abel...
Crossing Tower Bridge every day, I invariably came across Japanese tourists and it was always the same story: this obsession for recording the moment. I felt like saying, for fuck's sake, why don't you just enjoy the time you have with your loved one at this place. Christopher Booker was right: after the 1970's: conservation. But let's be more specific...
'There is no transforming in photography. There is only decision, only focus.'
Photography, it was thought, would offer 'direct access to the real' -or at least a trace of it, like a footprint.
Photographs really are experience captured, and the camera is the ideal arm of consciousness in its acquisitive mood.
Consciousness. Yes. On the screen, the surface. To be aware of being seen. I think this is why Muslims (or at least the dougal) don't like photographs.
Here it is Roxana:
Through photographs, the world becomes a series of unrelated, free-standing particles ; and history, past and present, a set of anecdotes and faits divers. The camera makes reality atomic, manageable, and opaque. It is a view of the world that denies interconnectedness, continuity, but which confers on each moment the character of a mystery.
'What photographs do out there in space was previously done within reflection ("the mind's eye")..it removes appearance from the flow of appearances..[when ] only that which narrates can make us understand.'
[Public] photography offers information severed from all lived experiences.'
'Has the camera replaced the eye of God? The decline of religion corresponds with the rise of the photograph. '
One wonders just how much of the trace of religion passes over into the modern period without us knowing it. But certainly the aniconism of Judaism and Islam is relevant here: only God knows our true name, the spirit cannot be captured, frozen. The nomadic vision is an ongoing moment. Movement and stillness. A broken circle.
God judges us, and this is the same as saying He remembers us or forgets us, sees us in the right light.
'The industrialised, 'developed' world, terrified of the past, blind to the future, lives within an opportunism which has emptied the principle of justice of all credibility. Such opportunism turns everything-nature, history, suffering, other people, catastrophes, sport, sex, politics-into spectacle. And the implement used to do this -until the act becomes so habitual that the conditioned imagination may do it alone-is the camera.'
~
9/11: "I thought I was watching a movie"
~
The spectacle and capitalism! De Bord! showmanship. That's what it's all about. Display. Instead of actually living life, quiet reflection, a real dialogue, conversation, we have this atomisation, fragmentation. Like the quote out of context: the overturning of authority, the dissolution of experience, ..everyone wants to be seen or be an i-reporter...the disappearing world (Adam Smith was right here: trinkets and baubles, illusions and deception sustains capitalist development). Blogging and the Internet: same thing, isn't it?
~
But here's the dope:
~
A capitalist society requires a culture based on images. It needs to furnish vast amounts of entertainment in order to stimulate buying and anaesthetise the injuries of class, race, and sex. And it needs to gather unlimited amounts of information, the better to exploit the natural resources increase productivity, keep order, make war, give jobs to bureaucrats. The camera's twin capacities, to subjectivise reality and to objectify it, ideally serve these needs and strengthen them. Cameras define reality in the two ways essential to the workings of an advanced industrial society: as spectacle (for masses) and as an object of surveillance (for rulers) . The production of images also furnishes a ruling ideology. Social change is replaced by a change in images.
----quotes from J. Berger and Susan Sontag
5 comments:
My nomadic friend. :) Well, we better not say half-wit then. That's just rude. Who all's reading? I don't think they would appreciate being called invisible. Even if they're really quiet. Maybe they are just good listeners.
Speaking of pictures, I just watched a beautiful movie called Water. Have you seen it? It's based in India in 1938, about a little girl who was 'widowed' at 7 years old. And how she got the hell out of that nut job ashram. My favorite line of the movie was from Ghandi, and I'll paraphrase: "I used to believe God was Truth, now I believe Truth is God." So even Ghandi agrees with me. I guess I'm in good company.
Oh, here's another thought about photographs. I have a black and white of me smiling. Laughing actually. With someone's face against my neck. I don't know why he was doing that? I must've smelt nice. It's my favorite picture of us.
-fl
p.s. I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about half the time. So maybe I'm the half-wit. I just nod my head because I like you.
But they are invisible! That's not such a bad thing. I can understand that. I don't know who reads, but I do like to see a red dot appear on the map , 'visitor locations'..especially if it's somehwere in the middle of the pacific...I think of some poor bugger on a desert island with a wireless connection. That's not you, btw, is it?
Yes, sad film ,but very good. Of recent ones I like Omkara a lot and amir khan's 'Tara Zameen' is good as well. Amongst the oldies: Devdas [with Dilip] ...don't think it's on youtube any more.
Yep, Gandhi was a wise man. But Jinnah was stylish and a man of principle! Saville Row is not how the Englsih liked their opponents. Much better an 'ascetic' to play into their sterotypes. I think Churchill said to one of his collegaues when Gandhi showed up in London: "not that bloody fakir again!" Can't say I'm an advocate of non-violence though. His views on the plight of the jews in nazi Germany are disturbing (which, again, is not a criticism..even great people have *some* odd views)
Yes, I love those old personal photographs..mementos, because they remind us of some experience or some special time or place or moment or special person (even if we're only dimly aware of it).
"I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about half the time"
That's okay, neither do I! :-)
b.
I wish I was on a desert island in the pacific....with a wireless connection. Actually, I'd leave my computer at home. And just lie in the sand a lot.
And you've just given me some more things to learn about, since I have a very shallow understanding of what all Ghandi did. I just know he seemed like a good guy.
Oh, I'm glad I'm not the only one who wonders what you're talking about. You're funny. I'd add "looking", but I don't know what you look like. If it's anything like I imagine, it's quite possible.
And even though I don't know you from Adam, I dreamed that you dyed your hair dark. Isn't that funny? I need to get some 3-D friends, if I'm dreaming about someone I know through a blog.
I digress....as usual.
-fl
fl, don't get me wrong..I do think Gandhi was a good guy, perhaps even a great guy. But I just don't buy into the whole saintly/ascetic thing or the idolising of a political leader.
Desert island..yep, thinking of starting a rdio programme here, like desert island discs on radio 4
Yes, quite possible indeed! I once had a Russian friend who said I reminded him of a Russian cartoon!
yes, 3-D friends are the real deal.
yes, i used to dye it, but that was 25 years ago now.
Jinnah, Gandhi, and the jews.
Post a Comment