I never meant to cause you any sorrow
I never meant to cause you any pain
I only wanted to one time see you laughing
I only wanted to see you laughing in the purple rain.
----Prince
Words and phrases I picked up from G. Hill:
hoop, hooped, husks, ceremony, habitation
'The bones that cannot bear the light'
'Decay of blood'.
'Fierce heart, iced brain, cleansed thoughts'
'The sun's primitive renewing fury'
'Recall the wind's
Flurrying , darkness of the human mire'
'The stark ground of this pain'
Ten years without you
For so it happens
Days make their steady progress, a routine
That is merciful and attracts nobody
Already, like a disciplined scholar,
I piece fragments together, past conjecture
Establishing true sequences of pain;
For so it is proper to find value
In a bleak skill, as in the thing restored
The long-lost words of choice and valediction.
~~~~
She dared more love, yet her starved eyes caught
His, devouring at times
Some, finally, learn to begin
Some keep the arrangement of love
(Or similar trust) under whose auspices move
Most subjects
~~~~
In tapestries, in dreams, they gathered, as it was enacted, the
return, the re-entry of transcendence into the sublunary
world. Opus Anglicanum, their stringent mystery riddled
by needles: the silver veining, the gold leaf , voluted grape-vines, master-works of treacherous thread.
~~~
"One cannot lose what one hasn't possessed"
I can lose what I want. I want you.
~~~
If the night is dark
and the way is short
if the way you take
is to my heart
say though I never
see you again
touch me I shall shiver
at the unseen
the night is so dark
the way so short
yet you do not wake
against my heart
emptiness ever thronging
untenable belonging
how long until this longing
end is unending song
and soul for soul discover
no strangeness to discover
and lover keep with lover
a moment and for ever
I shall live
in grief desiring
still to grieve
I shall go down to the lover's well
and wash this wound that will not heal
beloved soul
what shall you see
nothing at all
yet eye to eye
depths of non-being
perhaps too clear
my desire dying
as I desire.
~~~
Oh my dear one, I shall grieve for you
For the rest of my life with slightly
Varying cadence; oh my dear one
But it is mere occasion or chance distance
Out of which you might move and speak my name
As I speak yours, ???with sleep's
Miscellaneous goods for as much
As I can have, an alien landscape
The dream where you are always to be found
Love, oh my love, it will come
Sure enough. A storm
Broods over the dry earth all day
You are outside, lost somewhere
I find myself
Devouring verses of stranger passion
And exile. The exact words
Are fed into my blank hunger for you.
---G. Hill
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
If this is a religious post...I'd say I want your passion. If not, if this is for someone/idea of someone, I can say I share your passion. Especially "one cannot lose what one has not possessed." To that I say "yes, but one cannot touch something unless they possess it either." I didn't see any capital 'Y's, so I'm assuming this relates to longing for another person. I share these thoughts.
-fl
oh and this too...I'm chatty today:
I opened my eyes
And looked up at the rain,
And it dripped in my head
And flowed into my brain,
And all that I hear as I lie in my bead
Is the slishity-slosh of the rain in my head.
I step very softly
I walk very slow,
I can't do a handstand--
I might overflow,
So pardon the wild crazy thing I just said--
I'm just not the same since there's rain in my head.
-Shel Silverstein
(wisdom can always be found in children's books--kids seem to know a lot more than us adults)
Post a Comment