Wednesday, November 26, 2008

the space between us







For Celia: from this.


Thanks for pointing me here.


There are no near galaxies: this

as far as any, if not in terms of miles, we know

how meaningless miles are

in terms of miles. How far from me to you?


Everything is, almost in the utterance,

metaphor....as we measure miles, and miles

are meaningless, but we know what distance is:

unmeasurable. But there are distances.

2 comments:

Folded letters said...

Measurement is a curious thing. How we break things into arbitrary units. And then put them in a pile to keep track. It's all neither here nor there. But, to measure the distance between two hearts is a completely different matter. Because distance can be bridged through our intuition. Though physically separated, two people can be together. For example: having an image stuck in your head, or a song, or feeling compelled to search because you "know" something/one else is out there looking for you. Being guided.

I know you know b. You read my mind all the time. And I don't think you mean to. It just happens.

And also, I watched all of Howl's Moving Castle tonight. That's why I'm still awake. I don't even have the words to do the movie justice. I cried. I'll just leave it at that and hope you understand. Thank you for sharing with me.

My eyelids are heavy, I sleep now. Night b.

-fl

Celia said...

Thanks, b. Appropriate, indeed, on a day when the prematurely dead are very much with me. Doing some online research, I find the Certificate provided by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission recording the burial in Delhi War Cemetery of my uncle, Ronald James Huddy, Lieutenant in the Royal Armoured Corps, died 21st November 1944. I remember him - just - so young, full of fun and definitely the Black Sheep of the family! Sic transit.....