Sunday, October 26, 2008

The red room

Do I only think
I lost a river, culture, speech, sense of first space
and the right place?
Now, Where do you come from?
strangers ask.
Originally?
And I hesitate.
--Carol Ann Duffy.

The heaviness of pears
under the late summer sun
is not a matter of weight.

The heaving amplification of space
under fateless stars,
is not a solution to lizard-time.

The heaviness of pears
is not like the mark of time on our hands,
unbeknown to the eye's downward gaze.

It is not Spring, or Autumn,
Nor is it like
the drowning of a bee in yellow dust.

This sigh for the fall,
the desire for tender hands.
The revelation of flesh,
the longing to be devoured.

All this is a kind of darkness
for pears under late summer suns.

8 comments:

Folded letters said...

b-

Have you posted this before? I know this isn't the first time I've read it. The line about the bees in yellow dust sticks with me. As well as the being devoured part. Tasty. :)

-fl

billoo said...

No, don't think so, fl. But now that you mention it, the bees bit does sound familar. maybe I've 'borrowed' it from somewhere-subconsciously, of course! :)

Take care,

b.

Folded letters said...

b-

You wrote this? Are you sure this isn't a repeat? How strange. I do love it, by the way.

So, I don't think I'll tell you how I found your blog. Far too embarassing. But, I'll give you a clue: I was searching for something that I lost. By luck, I found you. Keep reading, my pen pal, and maybe I'll tell you more.

Oh, also can you tell me more about being/not being the space one is in? That's interesting, but ambiguous.

Goodnight
-fl


-b

billoo said...

Good morning, fl!

Hmm..now that you say that fl I'm beginning to wonder whether I didn't just copy and paste this from somewhere, or whether I wrote it before..maybe I don't even exist and am just a figment of your imagination! :-)

space: I think there are some rare moments when we feel that eveything fits, that we're at one with our surroundings and our times..not some 'oceanic' mystical feeling but a simple: 'this is the way it is meant to be'; at other times, though, I think we feel estranged from the world and the little space that has been allocated to us. No?

i mean, isn't there also always a sense of 'what if' or the idea that , well, things are a little broken down here?

salaams

b.

Folded letters said...

b,

Hi :) Thanks for the tease. I don't think you're a figment of my imagination. Remember, I already have an imaginary friend. And his name isn't b. But, then again I don't think b. is 'real' either. But you are.
And also, I know I've read some of those lines before, especially the "lizard-time" part. At any rate, I'll drop it.

About space, thanks for clarifying. My thought is sometimes life feels like it fits. And sometimes not. But, either way the soul of a person never changes. Also, I think life can be broken, but I think the soul remains constant.

I know what it feels like to live a life that's broken/estranged. It's a separation.

Folded letters said...

oops...hunting and pecking on my phone (no Internet). And I didn't say goodbye. So, bye :)

Thanks for your thoughts,
fl

billoo said...

fl, of course b is real!:-)
b is actually a name that I'm called by the people who know me well.

If you've read 'lizardtime' somewhere *please* do say. Its such an awkward term that it has to be mine!

'hunting and pecking'? what on earth is that?

hope all is well. Nice post, btw. You have the weirdest dreams! :)

K.

Folded letters said...

Well ok b. Or is it K? You're like a riddle.

Lizardtime makes me think of dragons. And a time that's faster than ours. On a different planet?

You know what hunting and pecking is...right? Or are you playing a joke on me? Either way, it's what I'm doing right now: "hunting" for the right letter and then "pecking" it with a single finger. And I hate it, but my computer is not online yet. But, you already knew that, so I just wasted a minute h&ping.

Lastly, aren't everbody's dreams weird? It's the way of tapping into the unknown. You should tell me some of your dreams.

Oh and one other thing to h&p: it sounds like you lost someone? Now, you should go find her. I'm sure she'll return the favor.

-fl