Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Everyday


The frontier has been drawn inwards.

---Robert Hughes on Hopper.


Eutropia, where everyone dreams of living another life, but can't forget the one that is quietly slipping away. So, that other life is only (imagined) slightly different from the present one. On the dark side of the moon other people are living our lives, only where we turned right, they turned left. They live in a glass darkly, and stare and stare, ingazing, their lives more broken for always seeming whole. Or, alternatively, everything and everyone is interchangeable; someone else will take my place and I will think someone else's thoughts. The possibilities remain unchanged this way; there is only a shuffling of the cards: nomos. Then the city repeats its life, identical, shifting up and down on its empty chessboard.


The great difficulty of residing in the modern epoch lies, paradoxically, in the triviality that nothing could be easier.

----Rosenzweig.


'The people keep indoors and stare for hours
at crooked mirrors showing exotic things
among familiar objects on their dressers.

What lives within is near. All else lies far
away. The things within, so busy, overfull
and everyday, stay inexpressible.
It is as if the island were a star

too small and Space, fiercely dispassionate,
had crushed it unaware. It circles on
and unilluminated and unheard
proceeds alone

through darkness in an orbit of its own
intent on making end to all of this,
continuing blindly and outside the course
of other galaxies, of other stars or suns.

-----Rilke.


(p.s. I thought of this picture and typed it into google images. There it was, under 'blacksunpress.com'. Did someone else have these thoughts before me? Are there other black suns out there?)
~~~~
I've grown quite fond of the little wooden box (chest) at the dining centre, and picking a Lipton tea bag out of it, the ritual of adding 'everyday' milk at a specified place. How important the everyday and the ordinary are! Hell is discontinuity!
~
But then I thought: what else is the university but a place for encouraging habitual forms of thought and a hopeless conformity to some weak version of the bourgeoisie's notion of respectability? Second-rate monks!"I'm a theorist". Yes, but of what?
~
To take up Badiou: isn't every situation structured in dominance: the namings, classifications, and divisions that go to make up: the known? The life of the mind is a harsh and stark road. Is it not better for some of us to undo and unlearn this and return to life, to laugh again instead of this pretense, pettiness, and inflated self-importance?

4 comments:

Folded letters said...

So b. about your first paragraph, what are your thoughts on fate? I think our everything is happening at the same time, and it's all part of a whole. But then are individual days just portions of the whole? And if so, then I'm depressed, because we can't experience every day at the same time. Beside that would be very confusing and messy.

I don't know what I just wrote. :) Anyhow, I also like the quote about life being too easy. We do just sit in our houses. I'd rather not...

-fl

billoo said...

Ype, fl, we do just sit in our homes! Funny, I had this very same conversation just yesterday with someone.

Fate. No idea! I once asked a Shaykh this question and he said: why do you ask such questions?!

I forgot to say: even if you wear yourt coat won't it get dirty?and wouldn't the french toast get cold?

best wishes,

b.

Folded letters said...

You had a conversation about sitting in homes. That sounds quite dull. I'm sorry.

And of course you won't give an opinion, that's why I call you ambiguous. Would we want you any other way?

Also, why did Roxane go away? I miss her.

OK, talk to you later.
-fl

billoo said...

ha! :-) No, it was actually with a french colleague has found it hard settling in here and about the lack of public space..the fact that women cannot move about easily in the city.

an opinion on fate serves what purpose, fl? I think the Shaykh was right: it's important to know what the right questions are.

Roxana, you mean? I have no idea. I did write asking her if she'd really decided to stop. But i'm not sure. I think her e-mail address is still up so you can talk to her yourself.

okay.

later,

b.